The Embroiderers’ Guild was formed in 1906 with the aim of raising technical and design standards in British embroidery. It did this by collecting examples of old and foreign stitch work which Guild members could use to inspire and inform their own practice. Today the Guild’s collection numbers several thousand items – ranging from small stitched fragments to large hangings – and is considered a nationally important collection of world costume and textiles. In 2016, the Embroiderers’ Guild moved its collection to Bucks County Museum on long-term loan. Since then, Museum staff and volunteers have been busy behind the scenes preparing the collection so that it may be made fully accessible for the public to enjoy: through exhibitions, an online database, stores tours and more.
Whether or not you are a ‘stitcher’, it is hoped that this permanent exhibition fulfils a founding ethos of the Embroiderers’ Guild – that its collection may be used to inspire and inform.
Please note the Beryl Dean Gallery, where the Embroiderers’ Guild collection is displayed, will be closed between 27th and 31st January for exhibition changeover. The new exhibition, Embroidered Birds, will open on Saturday 1st February.