Bucks County Museum
Church Street, Aylesbury HP20 2QP
Tel 01296 331441
There is no admission charge to the County Museum but donations are welcome to support our charity and our running costs of £2,000 per day. Bucks County Museum Trust, registered charity 1153345.
County Museum opening times
Summer opening 1 April to 29 October: Tuesday to Saturday 10am – 5pm
School Holiday Opening
October Half Term
21 – 28 October: Monday to Saturday 10am – 5pm
We hope you will enjoy exploring our website. Pages include rich materials about our collections, what you can do at the County Museum and Gallery and an online search function that allows you to search our whole collection on line. Click here for information about the Roald Dahl Children’s Gallery.
The County Museum looks after collections made by the Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society (BAS), the internationally important collections of the Embroiderers’ Guild and those assembled by the County Council over the past 50 years and is the main centre for studying the material past of Bucks. The Museum is the designated home for the collections of the National Paralympic Heritage Trust object collections. Please follow the links below to find out more:
We have great facilities!
The Cafe at the Museum serves hot and cold drinks, cakes and light snacks all day and has a large garden area for fine weather.
Our Gift Shop is stocked with a variety of Roald Dahl books and souvenirs, local books and related produce, household and other gifts.
We also do Brilliant Birthday Parties – 2 hours of fun in the Roald Dahl Children’s Gallery and Museum including crafts, food and your own party host.
Aylesbury is an hour by train from London Marylebone or 25 minutes off the M25 via the A41. We advise visitors to park in a town centre car park and then walk to the Museum. It is only a short, signposted walk from Market Square to the Museum, which is situated in the old part of the town, near St Mary’s Church. There is limited parking directly outside the museum for holders of disabled persons badges. For all information about Aylesbury including getting here and parking.
- The main entrance to the museum is flat and is accessible to everyone.
- If you require any assistance, museum assistants are on hand to help.
- Guide dogs and hearing dogs are welcome in the museum.
Access to Museum Galleries
- The ground floor includes the Buckinghamshire Displays, Georgian Room and Special Exhibitions Gallery.
- The Art Gallery is on the first floor and can be reached by a lift or main staircase.
- The Tudor House with the medieval wall painting can be accessed by separate stairs and lift.
Children Visiting Us
- Children over 12 years old can be unaccompanied in museum galleries at the discretion of museum staff but we strongly advise accompaniment by adults over 18 years old. Children will be asked to leave if behaviour is not appropriate and affects exhibits or other visitor’s experiences.
- Children up to 16 years old MUST be accompanied in the Roald Dahl Children’s Gallery and for all craft and holiday activities by an adult over 18 years old.