Our volunteers tell us that being here is a great way to learn new skills, meet people and to make a difference in the community. We have a long-standing and successful volunteering programme; we simply couldn’t achieve as much as we do without the dedication and hard work that they offer! We are always looking for new faces to join our friendly and supportive team. In return, we offer a stimulating and sociable environment and the chance to work with the Museum experts, both behind the scenes and in more public-facing roles, to bring our fascinating collections to life. We are proud to be accredited with Investing in Volunteers status.
Examples of recent volunteer activity at our Museum site in Aylesbury include:
- Exhibition staffing – We often require volunteers to assist with larger exhibitions and regular events such as our Summer Lecture Series.
- Practical exhibit support – encompassing a wide variety of tasks including anything from helping to construct exhibit cases and mounts to working on the engine of our vintage Cubitt Car and helping steer it safely into its display venue.
- Family workshops and young people activities – helping to prepare resources and act as support during sessions.
- Front of house support – restocking the shop, greeting and guiding visitors, assisting in our café or tidying the gardens.
Examples of recent volunteering activity at our Museum Resource Centre (Halton) include vital behind-the-scenes work to maintain our collections such as:
- Remounting of Lepidoptera and herbaria collections and updating our electronic records database (MODES).
- Research and Collection Visits – themed research to support exhibits and supporting our new range of stores tours.
- Photography and condition assessment of Social History garment collections.
- The creation of individually sized and hand-sewn calico dust covers for artefacts.
- Curatorial care and analysis of our Human Remains Project bones.
- Auditing of and data entry for our archaeological archives collection boxes.
- Data cleansing and record-matching on our MODES database.
- Identification of geological fossil samples for accessioning into our collections.
See our Current volunteer vacancies list.
To apply online to become a volunteer, download the ‘Apply to Volunteer‘ form and sent it by email or post:
Bucks County Museum Trust, Church Street, Aylesbury, HP20 2QP
Please note: you may need to allow ActiveX in your settings to complete the ‘Apply to Volunteer’ form fully.