The Jury painting – about the jurors

Top row, L-R: Joseph Ivatts, Thomas Horwood, William Ezra Eagles, Charles Isaac Clark, Walter Batley Rudland, Richard Loosely

Joseph Ivatts

A cattle dealer who in 1861 lived in Silver Street, Aylesbury. He came from a family of Aylesbury shoemakers, who had been working in the town since the 1720s. In 1882 The Bucks Herald recorded with much regret the death of this ‘old, well-known and much esteemed inhabitant of the town’.

Thomas Horwood

At the time the Jury was painted Thomas Horwood was 41 and a solicitor in Temple Square. By 1869 he was partner in the firm James and Horwood and was listed in trade directories as a ‘solicitor and commissioner for oaths and perpetual commissioner for taking acknowledgements of married women, registrar of the court of the archdeaconry of Buckingham and secretary to the savings’ bank’. He was much involved in the life of Aylesbury being a member of the Bucks Rifle Volunteer Corps and a member of the Buckinghamshire Archaeological and Architectural Society.

William Ezra Eagles

Described on the plaque beneath the painting as a lawyer but the 1861 census records that he was actually a solicitor’s managing clerk. He lived at 43 Castle Street, Aylesbury and like Thomas Horwood was a member of the Bucks Rifle Volunteer Corps. He was also involved in the Mechanics Institute and in December 1861 he gave a talk at the Institute on the subject of ‘Jurors’. The Bucks Advertiser noted that the talk ‘… was appropriately illustrated by a picture recently painted by Mr. John Morgan …

Charles Isaac Clark

Lived in Aston Clinton and is described on the plaque beneath the painting as a butcher. However, he also ran the Half Moon and Seven Stars public house in Aston Clinton. By 1869 he had moved to the Rose and Crown in Aston Clinton, but was still described as a ‘butcher and publican’ in the trade directories. After his death in 1874 his wife, Mary Ann, continued to run the Rose and Crown.

Walter Batley Rudland

Like William Ezra Eagles, a solicitor’s managing clerk. In 1861, when The Jury was painted, he was a lodger at 86 Church Yard. He also audited the accounts for the Mechanics Institute. The Bucks Advertiser for 4 November 1865 recorded that he died very suddenly at the age of 49, a ‘highly respected’ resident of the town.

Richard Loosely

The 1861 census describes him as a ‘miller and grazier employing 2 men’. At that time he lived at Haydon Mill although previously he had lived in Castle Street, Aylesbury. He died in 1867, aged 73.

Art - collections page - The Jury

Bottom row, L-R: Thomas Smith, Philip Payne, Thomas Wootton, Joseph Howard, James Hobday, John Dukes

Thomas Smith

First listed in Aylesbury trade directories as a coal and salt merchant but when The Jury was painted he was a butcher in Walton Street, Aylesbury. By 1863 he was also running the Bear Inn, Walton Street (now demolished) and continued to do so until at least 1887.

Philip Payne

Some Aylesbury historians think that this is a portrait of Samuel Payne, the well-known postmaster of Aylesbury. However the plaque beneath the painting describes this man as a draper and in 1861 there was a draper called Philip Payne living in Aylesbury who was 62 years old. He owned shops on Market Street and Temple Street and lived at 126 Walton Grove. By 1877 the business appeared in trade directories under his son’s name, Bartholomew Payne.

Thomas Wootton

In 1861 Thomas Wootton ran the Bell Inn, Market Square, Aylesbury. It was described in trade directories as a ‘commercial inn, licensed to let horses and gigs’. Earlier however, Wootton had run the Bear Inn, Walton Street and by 1869 he was running the Crown Inn, Market Square. In November 1861 The Bucks Advertiser reported ‘Mr T Wootton, of the Bell Inn having kindly invited the Volunteers (Bucks Rifle Volunteers) to supper on Thursday evening a large number attended, Corporal Lehmann presided and a very pleasant evening was spent’.

Joseph Howard

He was 66 when The Jury was painted and living at 194 Walton Street, Aylesbury. For many years he had been a coal merchant in the town, often dealing in other commodities like brick, lime and salt. In the Mussen and Craven 1853 trade directory he is also listed as a road surveyor.

James Hobday

Described on the plaque beneath the painting as a silk manufacturer and was listed in the 1861 census as a ‘manager of silk works employing about 220 persons’. The silk mill had been established on the Oxford Road in 1844, as a form of employment for people who would have otherwise entered the town’s poor house. However by 1869 the Kelly’s Post Office Directory records that Hobday was a bookseller and stationer in the Market Square, also selling sheet music and running a circulating library. He died in 1870 at the age of 60.

John Dukes

Very little is known about John Dukes who is described on the plaque beneath the painting as a bricklayer. Hayward Parrott, the Aylesbury historian, believed that this was not actually a portrait of John Dukes, but of a Mr Gates. However, the 1861 census recorded a John Dukes, aged 55, living at 48 Castle Street who was a ‘Pensioner of the 57th and 25th Foot, now a Bricklayer’s Labourer’.